Insulting Friendship

Movie Title: Good Will Hunting
Movie Genre: Drama
Movie Director: Gus Van Sant
Movie Script Writer: Mat Damon, Ben Affleck
Movie Casts: Mat Damon, Ben Affleck
Will Hunting (Mat Damon) is a boy genius who was severely abused as a child and has been in trouble with the law ever since. When his girlfriend asked Will to move to California with her, Will panicked at the thought of so much change and commitment. Will further told his best friend Chuckie (Ben Affleck) that he wanted to be a laborer for the rest of his life.




Chuckie was sitting on the hood of his Cadillac, watching Will across the street. Chuckie was covered in grime as well. Will started walking towards Chuckie. As he drew closer, he heaved a can of Budweiser a good thirty yards, to Chuckie who handled it routinely. Will took a seat next to Chuckie and they cracked open their beers. Other workers file out of the site. They drink.
“Ah, God. That’s good.” Chucky sniffed, then light up a cigarette. “How’s your lady?”
“Ah, she’s gone,” answered Will.
“Gone? Gone where?”
“Med School. Medical school in California.”
“Really?”
“Yeah.”
“When was this?”
“It was like a week ago.”
“That’s sucks.”
A beat.
“So, when are you done with those meetin’s?” asked Chuckie again.
“I thing the week after I’m twenty-one.”
“Are they gonna hookin’ you up with a job or what?”
“Yeah, fuckin’ sit in a room and do long division for the next fifty years.”
“Nah, probably make some nice bank, though,” Chuckie said, spit to the ground.
“I’m gonna be a fuckin’ lab rat.”
“Better than this shit. Way outta here.”
“Why do I want a way outta here for? I’m gonna fuckin’ live here the rest of my life. You know, be your neighbor. You know, have little kids. Fuckin’ take them to the little league together up Foley Field.”
A passing sheet metal workers overhears this.
“Look, you’re my best friend, so don’t take this the wrong way, but in 20 years, if you’re still… livin’ here, comin’ over to my house watchin’ the Patriots games and still workin’ construction, I’ll fuckin’ kill ya. That’s not a threat, that’s a fact. I’ll fuckin’ kill ya.”
Will look surprise and confused. “What the fuck are you talkin’ about?”
“Look, you got somethin’ none of us have.”
“Oh, come on! Why is it always this? I fuckin’ owe it to myself to this or that. What if I don’t want to?”
“No, no, no. Fuck you. You don’t owe it to your self.”
Chuckie was staring at Will for a second.
“You owe it to me, cause tomorrow, I’m gonna wake up and I’ll be fifty and I’ll still be doin’ this shit. And that’s all right, that’s fine. I mean, you’re sittin’ on a winning lottery ticket. You’re too much of a pussy to cash it in. And that’s bullshit cause I’d do fuckin’ anything to have what you got! And so would any of these fuckin’ guys. Be an insult to us if you’re still here in twenty years. Hangin’ around here is fuckin’ waste of your time.”
Will shook his head. “You don’t know that.”
“I don’t?”
“No. You don’t know that.”
“Oh, I don’t know that? Let me tell you what I do know. Every day I come by to your house and pick you up, and we go out a few drinks and a few laughs, and it’s great. But you know what the best part of my day is? It’s abut ten seconds from when I pull up the curb and when I get to your door, ’cause I think, maybe I’ll get up there and I’ll knock on the door and you won’t be there. No “goodbye”, no “see ya later”. No nothing. You just left. I don’t know much. But I know that.
Quotes : “I mean, you’re sittin’ on a winning lottery ticket. You’re too much of a pussy to cash it in.” (Chuckie, Good Will Hunting)

No comments:

Post a Comment